Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Zahir, Paulo Coelho




There is something unusual about reading Coelho.  His books are fascinating and flow quickly, but you always feel like you are only understanding a portion of the message, that the author has hidden all kinds of deep meanings and pathways within the content and I am never quite smart enough to find all the elements of the story.

He writes like he is possessed with an inspiration and like his characters each is taking a pilgrimage through the words that he uses.  The story involves a writer who finds success only because his wife-mate pushes him to do what he has spent a life time procrastinating about.

“I was always joining and leaving different groups and fraternities, always thinking that I had finally met the person who could reveal to me the mysteries of the invisible world, but in the end I was always disappointed to discover that most of these people, however well-intentioned, were merely following this or that dogma and tended to be fanatics, because fanaticism is the only way to put an end to the doubts that constantly trouble the human soul.”

But of course as the writer finds his success he forgets that his wife also has her own path to follow and he makes the fatal assumption that his success will be hers too and that she will be his sidekick.  However, she is too probing, too dynamic and too curious about life to be a sidekick.

“I don’t know if everyone is unhappy.  I know they’re all busy: work overtime, worrying about their children, their husband, their career, their degree, what they’re going to do tomorrow, what they need to buy, what they need to have in order not to feel inferior, etc.  Very few people actually say to me: ‘I’m unhappy.’  Most say: ‘I’m fine, I’ve got everything I ever wanted.’  Then I ask: ‘What makes you happy?’ Anser: ‘I’ve got everything a person could possibly want- a family, a home, work, good health.’  I ask again:  ‘Have you ever stopped to wonder if that’s all there is to life?’  Answer: ‘Yes, that’s all there is.’  I insist: ‘So the meaning of life is work, family, children who will grow up and leave you, a wife or husband who will become more like a friend than a real lover.  And, of course, one day your work will end too.  What will you do when that happens?’  Answer: There is no answer.  They change the subject.”

His life was carefree – money worries gone, fame an escape from reality.  “I had always sought both adventure and security, knowing that the two things did not really mix. I was sure of my love for Esther and yet I easily fell in love with the other women, merely because the game of seduction is the most interesting game in the world.”

She can accept his infidelity and engages in it herself, but she chooses to disappear, to find her own path and her own answers.  And she does this with no good bye, just gone.  For a while he is suspected of murdering her.  But this creates the obsession (the zahir) that dominates his thoughts and feelings.

Sometimes sentences jump off the page, not because of the story, but because they say so much.  “…but we always know we are close to our true mission on earth when what we are doing is touched with the energy of enthusiasm.”

The story is about purging the past, the things that hold us back – “They are prisoners of their own personal history. Everyone believes that the main aim in life is to follow a plan.  They never ask if that plan is theirs or if it was created by another person.  They accumulate experiences, memories, things, other people’s ideas, and it is more than they can possibly cope with.  And that is why they forget their dreams.”

He searches for her, but he is looking for an intangible reason, not a person and once again the journey is about discovering himself. 

“I had discovered that I was much better and more capable than I myself had thought; age only slows down those who never had the courage to walk at their own pace.”

No comments:

Post a Comment