Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fool's Gold


Fool’s Gold, Bill Merrit

The quote on the book’s jacket by mystery writer Phillip Margolin captures Fool’s Gold very well, “Bill Merritt has written a wacky, original, and unpredictable book with a cast of incompetent and crooked lawyers, insane treasure hunters, and other assorted screwballs that works as a legal thriller, a comedy, and a mystery.”  I would disagree on the thriller aspect, it is a legal journey, but you are never sensing real danger.

An attorney dies; his partner of 3 months is caught in a web of treasure hunting, pot, a strange legal system, and a story that spins out of control of the attorney.  The characters are the book.  It is a vehicle for craziness and the mystery and the threats are all low key and do not really move the book along.

I found myself moving steadily through the book and enjoyed my reading, but at the end I asked myself what I just read.  Consider it light reading and leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment