Monday, June 25, 2012

The Reindeer Camps, Poems by Barton Sutter



This is the first of three books that Lake Superior Magazine asked me to review – three books of poetry.  So the question is – how do you review poetry?  I do not write it, I tried, when I was in college.  I made rhyming verses because my English professor said it would give me writing discipline to conform to meter and rhyme. Then Whitman set me free to ramble and I did, but prose was my medium and not just prose, but non-fiction.  So I review these tentatively as a person, who loves books and loves what great writers do with words; I explore poetry annually, digging in to great poets, which the Northland seems to produce in such wonderful abundance and quality.  I love the works of Louis Jenkins and Konnie Wanek, but judging poetry is difficult.
A poem is a picture and a rhythm – a song without music and images in abstract with words.  I have to read the first few lines over and over to discover their sound and listen to the words to get the image.  Which brings me to Barton Sutter who lives in Duluth and has become an important name in poetry with numerous awards and recognition: others have judged his merit so I can only report how I react personally to the poetry in this collection.
The poetry is compiled in sections – chapters if it was prose - and the poems are linked in a loose set of themes.  The first section examines some of darker sides of people Barton has encountered and the conditions that challenge our perspectives.  He captures the lonely frustration of dying among the candy stripers and piped in rock music: “Like earmuffs to my head, And stumbled from the house To runrun, runaway.”    He remembers the lumberman, Nils, who is moved by the discovery of a nest in a tree he has cut.  It is not the birds, but the human emotion that causes Nils to tie the tree upright to a still uncut tree in hopes the parents will return – “The frightened parents must have fled, But I like thinking how Nils tried.”
His lines are clever, often humorous and always thought provoking – “Father, Holy Ghost, and Son Were peanuts in a single shell” and we glimpse perception in lines like: “A five-year-old doesn’t judge but sees.”  We can picture the farmer, a roughhewn man who extends sympathy to a child stung by a hornet. “I see his trembling, farm-thick fingers Plastering his young son’s brow With a dripping lump of cool blue clay To take the hornet’s sting away.”
Part 2 is a reflection on a sense of place – “But nothing says north like a white pine Unless it’s a maple gone red to maroon.”  He captures the frustration I felt just the day before reading his ode on the construction on Highway 1.  We hate the fact that we can no longer see the river we crossed: “Our looks now boomerang off a blank wall, The highway turned hallway, one more Aesthetic atrocity committed, one more Beauty spot blotted out.”  Amen.  Instead he celebrates nature and the wonderful way it celebrates and supports diversity, “To work together for the great good of green.”
And we laughed as I read aloud Those Finnish Folk: “Pioneered by people awful fond of failure.”  “They believe in Sauna, Nudity, and Coffee.”  The tear jerker is an ode to his dog – those animals evolved to be our best friends and our worst hurt. 
Section three is about the Bush administration and did my liberal heart good!  Section four was filled with a collection of images and topics, but if there was a central theme I was not able to catch it.   Section five is about books and writing – an assortment of whims, loves, and relationships between reader, writer, and the printed word.  “So the years passed.  It might take him all day to write one sentence.  If he published it, by God, he meant it.”
In section six Barton explores his love of his wife, her bravery, her loveliness and her absence.  In the final poem With You in Spain you can feel the writer walking the garden daily taking in the flowers and trees that they have planted and rejoicing in their beauty while noticing that it is not the same when she is in Spain.  The introspection of this journey through time and garden ends with a soliloquy on the place that is their place and what it will be like when both are dead and someone else owns this precious place.  “I tried to tell myself When we are dead and buried It will only be As if we’ve gone to Spain.”  But it will not be that simple “Let me try to make this plain.  Imagine you had seen Apple petals drifting down Like manna on the lawn, But we were gone.”
The final section is one epic poem – Reindeer Camps – that takes us far north and puts us where we have never been and probably will never be.  It is a journey in to timelessness – it brings forth the metaphos of age and place in the barren lands of Siberia.  – “And seldom settle anywhere For longer than a month or so.  To overgraze the grass and moss Would be a grave mistake.”  There is a lesson there for all mankind and our voracious consumption. And this plain landscape is a place to reflect on human space and place – “Taiga, taiga, world of white, Home to sable, black as night, What mere human mind or eye Can take in your immensity.” 
It is an excellent collection and a philosophic poetry tinged with humor and insight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment